Monday, May 10, 2010

Rough day

Had my glucose tolerance test this morning. 4 blood draws over a period of 3 hours. I won't know the results until tomorrow. I did find a meta-analysis from 2008 that states women who receive 17P are more at risk for developing gestational diabetes. So at least I know that if I do have it, it isn't because of ME, or my genetics or diet. It is because of the 17P. Would have been nice if someone at the clinic informed me of that.

What really upset me today is that I had a localized welt, for the first time in 11 weeks, from the shot I received last week. I assumed that it was because the nurse administered it too fast, but wanted to get checked out while I was there, since it wasn't totally gone. It was determined that it is an allergic reaction of sorts. I was told by my doc's nurse that I could go ahead and try the shot again on Wednesday, but to bring Benadryl just in case it happens again, and I will have to wait and be "watched" for an hour to see if I get the welt again. I was fine with that, until the nurse said, "And if it happens again, you will probably have to stop the 17P." At which time I totally freak, since I strongly feel that the shots are keeping Thumper baking inside and not outside of me.

I go through the rest of the day crying on and off, until I decide to call my doctor and ask to speak to her myself. I am so glad I did that. She said that we would NOT just stop the 17P. She would consult best practice with the pharmacist, and most likely recommend that I take either Benadryl or prednisone before I get the weekly shot. I would rather not take prednisone, but it sure beats stopping 17P - which I consider life-saving for Thumper. It really upsets me when I encounter a nurse who should know better: don't just say things off the top of your head if it isn't a doctor's order!!

Hopefully, the welt was a one-time-thing.

I will update on Wednesday.

No comments: