Wednesday, April 21, 2010

24 weeks, 4 days check-up

Everything still looks good! Cervix is still hanging out at 3.7 cm.

I have had an emotional week. I think just being sick has left me tired and teary - but I also might be having a bit of PTSD. Also having a bunch of contractions Monday morning and Tuesday night didn't help my mental state. Thankfully, the contractions don't seem to be affecting my cervix!

Three years ago, I was admitted to the hospital at 24 weeks, 5 days gestation. My cervix was mostly gone, fingertip dilated, and my bag of waters was pouching through. I was hospitalized for 11 days before I delivered. I am SO relieved that things are different this time! I am not even on bedrest (knock-on-wood!). For some reason, I was sure I would be on bedrest by this point. I am starting to feel more optimistic!

My doctor today said that many women contract just as much as me throughout their entire pregnancy, and still deliver full term. But she can't say for sure that my contractions didn't cause a change in my cervix last time with Alden. So, to be on the safe side and for my mental health, she is putting me on around-the-clock nifedipine to decrease my contractions. I will most likely still contract, but shouldn't have anymore contractions clustered together (like the 4 in 30 minutes I had on Monday, etc). So hopefully that works!

No comments: